Saturday, February 11, 2012

Saturday February 11, 2012

At sea for a loooong time now. The GPS tells me that Africa is to our north, but we've not spotted land yet. I'm hoping when we get to that bit where Liberia and Ivory Coast poke out to the south, we may see something. Otherwise, we are on target for getting to Ghana on Monday. Can't wait. I have some great plans there! (Sorry, this map appears to be a bit fuzzy. I'll see if I can improve it.)



My job on the ship is to coordinate the academic program for the Lifelong Learners (adult learners, often retired, who've chosen to come along on this particular voyage as opposed to an alternate kind of cruise). I do this by inviting various faculty members to speak in our daily seminar. Occasionally, I throw a presentation of my own at them. The other day I gave my "Life as a Chimpanzee Researcher" talk for the Lifelong Learners and, later, gave a ship-wide talk on the topic of the "Bushmeat Crisis in Africa." I'll do a general baboon talk before we get to South Africa and some other, more research-focused talks thereafter.

I have a new family! There's a thing on board called the "Extended Family" program that matches up adults with (multiple) students in "family units."  This is a nice way for people to bond and helps those who are homesick. (No students are matched with their actual professors.) I have six lovely daughters.

I'm working on taking a few photos here and there on the ship and will post those soon. Hope everyone is enjoying their winter. (I CERTAINLY AM!)

No comments:

Post a Comment